If you have a surplus of tomatoes in your home or garden, try using them to make a delicious cup of homemade tomato juice. You may find this juice a better alternative to making ketchup or purees.
Homemade tomato juice is not only healthy and nutritious. It’s also easy to make. The main ingredient that you need is sweet, fresh, and ripe tomatoes, preferably of the heirloom variety. Feel free to try out this homemade tomato juice recipe for two servings.
What’s good about this recipe is you don’t necessarily have to drink the tomato juice. You can use it as an ingredient in soups, sauces, and other tomato juices, such as the V8 juice.
How to Make Homemade Tomato Juice
- 3 large and ripe tomatoes
- Chopped celery – two stalks
- Ginger – ¼ inch
- Hot pepper (1/4 piece) or cayenne (a pinch)
- Peeled 1/2 cucumber
- A pint of salt or to taste
- Stevia – add to taste
- Peeled ½ lemon
1. Slice up your tomatoes and transfer them to a bowl.
2. Add the lemon, cucumber, ginger, and celery into a juicer or blender, beginning with soft ones like cucumber and lemon. For the cucumber, you may decide to peel the skin or use it as is. Using the cucumber as is may cause your juice to turn brownish, although it will be healthier.
3. Add your tomatoes into the juicer or blender and blend all these ingredients for a couple of minutes.
4. Add your salt, stevia, and pepper. It’s best to add to taste. You can also use watermelon, raw honey, apple, or mango in place of stevia.
5. Serve and enjoy.
Why Drink Homemade Tomato Juice?
Here are a few reasons why you should drink homemade tomato juice.
- It’s nutritious
Tomatoes contain an abundant supply of vitamins A, C, and K. They are also a good source of folic acid, fiber, and antioxidants.
- It helps prevent cancer and other medical conditions
Tomatoes play a role in preventing cancer and heart-related diseases. They also help lower your cholesterol levels and prevent inflammation.
- You’ll gain all tomato nutrients
Drinking fresh tomato juice enables you to gain all the nutrients that you stand to lose when cooking. The nutrients are also easy and quick for your body to absorb since the tomatoes are in pulp form.