About This Banana Dogs Recipe
Who doesn’t love hot dogs? A classic hot dog with mustard, ketchup, and relish is such a nostalgic treat. But what if we create a sweet, and healthier, version of this traditional snack with bananas replacing the hot dog, peanut butter replacing the mustard, and raspberries jam replacing the ketchup, topped with a relish made of kiwis?
Sounds strange? Hear me out!
Peanut butter, banana, and raspberries jam make the perfect breakfast combo. They’re also a great way to use any leftover hot dog buns. Packed with proteins, grains, fibers, and antioxidants, it’s such a fun and easy snack to make that even young kids can help assemble it.
If you or your kids are bored, making these peanut butter banana dogs with homemade raspberries jam is a fantastic way to have some fun in the kitchen. You can even get creative and explore other condiments and toppings like grapes jelly and top off with peaches or strawberries and cream — your imagination is the limit!
It’s a surprisingly delicious recipe made with the simplest ingredients that are energizing, nutritious, and of course, oh-so-yummy!
What You Need for This Banana Dogs Recipe
- Banana: It is a very versatile fruit packed with nutrients. Choose yellow bananas that are perfectly ripe without brown spots, and make sure they are not too mushy.
- Kiwi: To imitate the relish, I have used kiwi that also adds the perfect acidic touch.
- Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns: I have opted for whole wheat hot dog buns as they have more fiber.
- Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter makes this recipe smoother, but you can use the crunchy one too.
- Roasted Peanuts: For a nice crunchy topping.
- Raspberries, Sugar, and Lemon Juice: Why use store-bought jam when you can make it fresh at home in 5 minutes?
- Banana: It is the main ingredient in this recipe, but you may use any other fruit that you like. Chop up apples in small cubes if you want more crunch.
- Peanut Butter: Any other nut butter will be good as well.
- Kiwi: You can also use strawberries drizzled with a splash of lemon juice.
- Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns: I think these work well, but if needed, you can substitute them with brioche buns.
- Raspberries Jam: I like the acidity of the raspberries and they work beautifully with the peanut butter and bananas. But you may use any other jam that you like, preferably red to make it look more like ketchup!
Can I use a ready-made raspberries jam?
If you’re on the run, you can use a ready-made raspberries jam but opt for a low-sugar one.
Can I pack these peanut butter banana dogs?
The peanut butter and banana dogs are better consumed immediately. But if you want to pack them in order to keep them from getting soggy, make sure you pack the kiwi and the unpeeled banana separately.
Can I make it gluten-free?
Yes, of course. To make it gluten-free, you just need to use gluten-free buns.
Peanut Butter Banana Dogs With Homemade Raspberries Jam
If you have a sweet tooth, these Peanut Butter Banana Dogs with Homemade Raspberries Jam is just what you need. It makes a fun and nutritious breakfast, brunch, or snack for kids and adults alike.
Yield: 2 banana dogs
How To Make Banana Dogs Step By Step
Start by making the raspberries jam.
Mash up the raspberries with a fork, then add them into a small saucepan with the sugar and a splash of lemon juice.
Place the saucepan on medium heat and gently bring to simmer. Then, turn down the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
Pour into a bowl and leave it to cool a little bit.
In the meantime, peel and dice the kiwi.
Once the raspberries jam has cooled down, it is time to assemble the peanut butter and banana dogs.
Slice the whole wheat hot dog buns down the center.
Spread the peanut butter on one side.
And the raspberries jam on the other side.
Place one peeled banana in the middle of the bun and fold the bun together. Top it up with the diced kiwi and drizzle with peanut butter and raspberries jam. And for the finishing touch, add some chopped roasted peanuts.
The only thing left to do is to dive in and enjoy!
- To drizzle the peanut butter and the raspberries jam on top of the hot dog buns, you can use small squeezing bottles or zip lock bags cutting one tiny corner of the bag and squeezing it out. Or simply use a spoon.
- As the base is a plain banana, I suggest being generous with the condiments and toppings.
- Enjoy this dish immediately after making it because the fresh fruits will not keep well.