About This BBQ Beer Can Chicken Recipe
This BBQ beer can chicken recipe is so easy and yields the most tender and juicy chicken! The crockpot does all the work for you, so you can sit back and relax with a cold beer while your dinner cooks itself.
BBQ beer can chicken is one of my favorite easy crockpot recipes. It only requires a few ingredients and minimal prep work, but the results are delicious every single time. I like to cook a big batch early over the weekend so that I have plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week. The chicken is always moist and juicy, and the flavor is always on point.
Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for an easy weeknight meal, this recipe will never disappoint.
Cooking with beer is a great way to add flavor to your food. You can use it in a variety of ways, from savory dishes like this BBQ beer can chicken, beer bread, beer-braised stew, broccoli beer cheese soup to sweets recipes such as chocolate & stout layer cake, apple fritter cake, or beer and pretzel caramels.
Beer can also be used to marinate meat or vegetables or added to a sauce or dip for extra flavor. When cooking with beer, it’s important to choose a beer that you would actually enjoy drinking. Otherwise, you run the risk of adding an unpleasant flavor to your food. With so many different types of beer available, there’s sure to be one that will suit your taste.
So, the next time you’re in the kitchen, don’t be afraid to crack open a cold beer and see what you can create!
What You Need for This BBQ Beer Can Chicken Recipe
- Chicken: I like to use skinless, boneless chicken breast for this recipe.
- Onion Powder: It provides a similar flavor as fresh onions but with a concentrated aroma. Using the powder also ensures the chicken breast is perfectly coated.
- Paprika: I like to use smoked paprika, which adds a delicious, subtle smokiness.
- Beer: I have used a golden ale beer, which is slightly sweet and malty with a fruity note. I recommend using a beer that you like; otherwise, you may not enjoy the chicken’s flavor.
- Barbecue Sauce: It adds a mix of sweet, sour, spicy, and smoky flavors.
- Chicken: I used chicken breast, but boneless chicken thighs will also be great. For a vegetarian-friendly option, you can use jackfruit, which has the same texture as shredded chicken.
- Beer: If you don’t drink beer or if you don’t want to use it in this recipe, you can try chicken stock, ginger ale, or simply water.
How else can I serve this BBQ beer can chicken?
I like to serve BBQ beer can chicken on hamburger buns topped with coleslaw. But it also tastes great with a side of rice and a salad. Or you can enjoy it in quesadillas, tacos, or on top of a homemade sheet pan of nachos.
BBQ Beer Can Chicken
BBQ beer can chicken is a great way to cook chicken in a crockpot and enjoy a delicious dinner on a busy weeknight.
Yield: 4 servings
For serving (optional):
How To Make BBQ Beer Can Chicken Step By Step
Add the beer, barbecue sauce, onion powder, paprika, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to the crockpot and stir to combine.
Add the chicken breast to the crockpot and stir well, coating it with the sauce.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for about 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken starts to fall apart.
Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks, then put it back into the sauce and stir to coat.
Serve on hamburger buns topped with coleslaw if you wish, and enjoy!
- I like to use a barbecue sauce that is not very thick, because if it’s too dense, the sauce may thicken too much and burn. If your sauce is too thick, add some more beer or water to it.