About This Black Tiger Prawns with Homemade Bloves Sauce Recipe
Black tiger prawns are highly nutritious and tasty crustaceans that can be served as an appetizer, sautéed, grilled, baked, or steamed as a main course — or, my favorite way, as hors d’ oeuvres, meaning held by the tail and dipped into the sauce.
Because I like to experience new foods, I’m always on the lookout for different flavors and textures. This Bloves sauce is a unique finding that you must absolutely try if you’re a seafood lover.
The rich and delicious sauce was created by the YouTube sensation, Blove, who gained a lot of popularity for eating a large amount of food in front of her audience. Her most iconic claim to fame is this smackalicious seafood sauce that you can even buy from Amazon in a mild or spicy version.
Bloves sauce is a butter sauce that has a rich, spicy flavor from a combination of different spices and seasonings used to make it. The ingredient list is long, but don’t be scared — most of the ingredients are common spices and seasonings that you probably already have in your pantry. And believe me, you need all these ingredients to maximize the flavor profile of this unique sauce!
The best part? This entire recipe takes just a few minutes to make! It is a relatively simple and easy way to elevate your seafood experience.
What You Need for This Black Tiger Prawns with Homemade Bloves Sauce Recipe
- Black Tiger Prawns: I like to use fresh prawns that I peel and devein, leaving the tails on.
- Butter: It helps to make the sauce delightfully rich.
- Garlic Powder: It gives the sauce a wonderfully fragrant and fabulous taste.
- Paprika: I like to use smoked paprika as it gives a lovely color and more depth to the sauce.
- Ground Black Pepper: It gives a bold taste to the sauce with its pungent and earthy flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper: It adds a hot and fiery taste to the sauce.
- Onion Powder: It gives a sharp and slightly sweet taste to the sauce.
- Dried Oregano: It adds an earthy and peppery flavor.
- Lemon Pepper: I love this seasoning because it has an intense aroma filled with zesty floral, citrus, and woody notes.
- Chili Powder: A dash of chili powder makes this sauce hot.
- Cajun Spice Blend: It is a mouthwatering mix that usually includes paprika, pepper, onion and garlic powder, basil, chili, fennel, and thyme.
- Old Bay Seasoning: It has a very distinctive and spicy flavor with hints of salt, pepper, mustard, mace, and even turmeric, and it is a standby for seafood.
- Fresh Minced Garlic: It gives the sauce a pungent, robust flavor.
- Fresh Onion: A little bit of chopped onion (white or yellow) adds texture to the sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce: It has a tangy, sweet, and salty flavor.
- Brown Sugar: A little bit of sugar helps balance the flavors.
- Salt: Just a little bit of salt to enhance all the flavors.
- Chicken Broth: It adds savory richness to the sauce.
- Lemon Juice and Zest: I like to add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest to give a lovely citrusy flavor to the sauce.
- Black Tiger Prawns: If you can’t find them, you can also use shrimps.
- Chicken Broth: It can be substituted with citrusy and fruity beer that helps to create a really flavorful sauce.
- Brown Sugar: It can be substituted with honey, which gives an element of sweetness that’ll balance out all the different spices and seasonings.
- Chili Powder: It can be substituted with chili oil that will add to the melty texture of the butter for a really rich and indulgent sauce.
How can I store this sauce?
You can store leftover Bloves sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 weeks or freeze it in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, if it has been frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and simply reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds or on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
What else can I serve with this Bloves sauce?
The Bloves sauce goes well with seafood, but you can also enjoy it with fish fillets, tuna patties, potatoes, and other veggies, or with meats such as lamb, beef, or pork.
What does this Bloves sauce taste like?
Bloves sauce is a rich sauce full of various flavors. It is spicy, salty, and sweet with hints of citrus.
Black Tiger Prawns with Homemade Bloves Sauce
These black tiger prawns smothered in a rich, decadent Bloves sauce will kick your seafood experience up a few notches!
Yield: 2 servings
How To Make Black Tiger Prawns with Bloves Sauce Step By Step
Start by peeling and deveining the black tiger prawns. Pull off the head, and using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the shell along the outer edge of the prawn’s back so that you can get to the vein.
Remove the shell, leaving the tail on, and with your fingers or the tip of a small paring knife, remove and discard the vein that runs right under the surface of the back. Do the same with all the prawns.
Place the cleaned prawns into a microwave steamer and steam them for about 5 to 6 minutes or until soft and cooked. Set aside and let them cool down.
Combine all the seasonings in a bowl and set them aside.
Peel and mince the garlic.
Peel and chop the onion.
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, add the minced garlic and the chopped onion, and sauté for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and zest, and mix well.
Add the seasoning mix and bring to a boil, occasionally stirring until the mixture is well combined.
Remove from the heat, let the sauce cool down, and enjoy it with the steamed black tiger prawns!
- The sauce is made of various flavorful ingredients; however, you can also add a teaspoon of vinegar if you want more acidity, a teaspoon of tabasco sauce if you want the sauce to be spicier, or a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes if you want more heat.
- The Bloves sauce is traditionally meant to go with seafood; however, you can enjoy it with meat and vegetables, too.
- Once the sauce has cooled slightly, the ingredients may separate from each other. So, you can place it in a blender and pulse it a few times to combine all the ingredients.