About This Candy Sushi Recipe
When I was a kid, gummy candies were my favorite candies, and honestly, they still are. They are colorful, fun, cute, and delicious, just like this recipe.
If you want to get your kids in the kitchen to try something fun, or if you just love candies and are looking to try your hand at something different, this candy sushi recipe is made for you. It’s fun, it’s easy, and it’s oh-so-delicious! The best part? It will only take 15 to 20 minutes to make.
Candy sushi is a sushi look-alike treat. It has gummy candy in the middle and is surrounded by a crispy rice cereal and marshmallows filling, wrapped with sour ribbon candy.
With just a few sweet ingredients, you and your kids will be having so much fun learning to make your own creative candy sushi.
In this recipe, I created 3 styles of sushi — Maki rolls with the gummy candy in the middle, Nigiri sushi with the gummy candy placed on top of the rice mixture and wrapped with a strip of gummy ribbon in the middle, and Gunkan rolls with small candies on top. You can make them all, or just one, or even be creative and make your own sushi decorations.
A colorful treat perfect for kids’ birthdays and parties, it will be the sweetest sushi you’ve ever tasted.
What You Need for This Candy Sushi Recipe
- Rice Krispies: To imitate the rice from the sushi, Rice Krispies are perfect.
- Marshmallows: Since the marshmallows are melted, the size doesn’t matter. You can use any size of marshmallows.
- Gummy Worms: I have used gummy worms, but you can use any gummy candies you have or prefer.
- Sour Ribbon Candy: I have used sour ribbon candy because it is already cut in strips, and I love the combination of sweet and sour, but you may also use fruit roll-ups.
- Rice Krispies: You can substitute the Rice Krispies with any other puffed cereal.
- Sour Ribbon Candy: Fruit roll-ups are also a good alternative to sour ribbon candy.
How to store the candy sushi?
The candy sushi can be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic. Do not store in the fridge or freezer. They are best consumed the day they are made.
A simple and easy recipe to make some adorably sweet Candy sushi! It is amazingly delicious and so much fun for your kids to make.
Yield: around 20 pieces
How To Make Candy Sushi Step By Step
Start by making the crispy rice cereal mixture. Melt the butter and marshmallows in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave. Add the Rice Krispies and constantly stir until they are coated with marshmallows and butter. Remove from heat, and let it cool for 5 minutes but no longer. It should still be warm enough to spread but not so hot that it’ll melt the ribbon and the gummy candies.
Spread out the sour ribbon candies on a sheet of baking or waxed paper. With your hands sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, spread the rice cereal and marshmallows mixture on the gummy ribbon. Add the gummy candies on top of the rice mixture, and roll the gummy ribbon tightly to form the sushi.
To make the Nigiri style, form rectangles from the rice mixture, place a gummy candy on top of each, and wrap them with a 1.5 cm (½ inch) strip of a gummy ribbon.
For a finishing touch, you may decorate your sushi platter with chocolate sauce to substitute the soy sauce, green-tinted whipped cream for wasabi, and thinly sliced pink or yellow gummy candy for pickled ginger.
- Candy sushi gets tough and sticky when stored overnight, so they are best eaten the day they are made.