About This Fresh Salad with Sprouts and Kale Pesto Dressing Recipe
There’s nothing quite like a big bowl of fresh salad to leave your belly feeling happy and full. But, do you ever get tired of the same old salads? A mix of greens and a simple dressing makes for an easy and healthy meal, but it can get old fast.
This fresh salad with sprouts and kale pesto dressing is perfect for when you’re looking for something new. It not only tastes great but it’s also packed with nutrients that will leave you feeling energized.
The sprouts add a satisfying crunch, while the pesto dressing is easy to make and adds tons of flavor to the salad. You can use whatever type of sprouts you want, so it’s customizable to your taste.
I’ve been trying out a lot of new recipes lately, and I have to say, I really like this kale pesto salad dressing. It’s fresh and light but still has a bit of a kick to it, and it brings out the flavor of the sprouts.
And best of all, it’s super easy to make! So, the next time you’re looking for a quick and healthy meal, give this big bowl of fresh salad a try. Trust me, your belly and taste buds will thank you!
What You Need for This Fresh Salad with Sprouts and Kale Pesto Dressing Recipe
- Lettuce: I like to use iceberg lettuce for this salad because it has a crunchy texture and a subtle sweet taste.
- Kale: I used curly kale as it is the most widely available variety and has a peppery flavor.
- Red Bell Pepper: For a bit of color, I like to use red bell pepper for its sweet and juicy taste.
- Carrot: It gives a slightly bitter-sweet and earthy flavor.
- Mushrooms: I like to use steamed sliced button mushrooms because they are meaty and add a lovely umami flavor.
- Green Onions: I used green onions because they have a mild taste compared to regular onions.
- Sprouts: I like to use Alfalfa and radish sprouts because they have a slightly peppery, spicy flavor and taste great in salads, sandwiches, or any meal that needs a little more flavor.
- Lemon Juice: It gives a slightly tangy flavor to the dressing.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I like to use a good extra virgin olive oil with a fruity and slightly spicy taste.
- Mustard: I have used a mix of yellow and wholegrain mustard that adds a tangy and spicy taste.
- Honey: I have used a little bit of honey to balance the acidity.
- Chili Flakes: I like to add some chili flakes for a decent dose of spiciness.
- Cashews & Pine Nuts: They help make the kale pesto creamy and rich and give a lovely nutty flavor.
- Toppings: I like to top my salad with sesame seeds and pepitas.
- Lettuce: I like to use iceberg, but it can be substituted with any other type of lettuce you have on hand.
- Bell Pepper: I like to use red bell pepper, but the green, yellow, or orange ones are also great in this salad.
- Sprouts: I have used Alfalfa and radish sprouts, but you can use any types of sprouts you prefer.
- Mustard: I like to use a combination of yellow and wholegrain mustard, but any type of mustard you have on hand will be good.
- Toppings: I have used sesame seeds and pepitas, but you can also use other nuts, seeds, or dried fruits you like.
Can I store this salad?
As with almost all fresh salads, this one is also better consumed immediately. However, if you need to make it in advance, I suggest preparing the veggies and the kale pesto dressing one day in advance and keeping them separate in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve it, simply toss the salad with the dressing and enjoy.
Can I add raw mushrooms to the salad?
Some mushrooms, like shiitake and white or brown button mushrooms, can be eaten raw. However, it is not advisable to do so because they are largely indigestible. I suggest steaming or sautéing them for a few minutes and letting them cool before adding them to the salad.
Fresh Salad with Sprouts and Kale Pesto Dressing
Easy to make and ready in about 15 minutes, this fresh salad with sprouts and kale pesto dressing is packed with flavor and nutrients and is perfect for busy weeknights.
Yield: 1 serving
For the salad:
For the kale pesto:
For the kale pesto dressing:
How To Make Fresh Salad with Sprouts and Kale Pesto Dressing Step By Step
Start by making the kale pesto. Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until you get a creamy texture, scraping the sides if needed. Set it aside.
Place the ingredients for the salad dressing into a bowl, then add about two tablespoons of the kale pesto, and whisk until everything is well combined. Set aside.
Prepare your veggies. Shred the lettuce and kale, dice the red bell pepper, julienne the carrot, and finely slice the green onions. Add all the prepared veggies to a big bowl.
Add the sliced mushrooms and sprouts.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Add your favorite toppings, and serve immediately.
- You can also prepare a bigger quantity of kale pesto and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week. Alternatively, you can even freeze it in ice cube trays, then place the frozen cubes in plastic or food-grade silicone freezer bags and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.