About This Gigi Hadid’s Viral Spicy Pasta Recipe
Gigi Hadid’s spicy pasta has become an iconic dish that went viral because, well, she’s a loveable popular celebrity but also because the recipe is just really delicious! She posted it when we were in lockdowns and people all across the world were trying to fill their time with something, which ended up lots of us looking into cooking and finding new food inspirations.
The original recipe for penne alla vodka, or vodka sauce made by adding the famous Russian spirit to cheesy tomato sauce and penne pasta, has a longstanding Italian history that can be traced to the 1970s and ’80s.
But when Gigi prepared it, she omitted the vodka since she was pregnant at the time, but she did indicate when to add it in her instructions.
With or without vodka, this recipe is packed with flavors and is ultra-satisfying.
I try to have a balanced diet, and I always seek to have a few meat-free days during the week. This recipe is just perfect for one of those days when you want to cut down your meat consumption.
This recipe uses just a few simple ingredients commonly found in our kitchens to create a super delicious, restaurant-quality pasta meal for the entire family. It is creamy, spicy, and super rich.
One bite of this creamy pasta and you’ll see why it went viral and what all the hype is about!
What You Need for This Gigi Hadid’s Viral Spicy Pasta Recipe
- Pasta: Gigi’s choice of shells for this recipe is perfect because they really capture the sauce nicely, making this dish rich and creamy.
- Onion & Garlic: They add a wonderful peppery and spicy flavor to the sauce.
- Tomato Paste: Its concentrated taste adds flavor and body to the sauce.
- Heavy Cream: A splash of heavy cream can add a richer and creamier consistency to the sauce.
- Red Pepper Flakes: It gives the dish a little bit of spiciness.
- Butter: Butter acts as an emulsifier and makes the sauce thick and velvety.
- Parmesan Cheese: Finely grated parmesan cheese adds an instant kick of flavor to the sauce.
- Basil: For a lovely fresh and aromatic flavor.
- Pasta: Shell pasta is a perfect choice, but penne, bow ties, or any other pasta that you have on hand will be good, too.
- Onion: I have used shallot, but you may also use red, white, or yellow onion.
- Basil: I have used fresh basil, but parsley will also work wonderfully.
Why is this recipe called Gigi Hadid’s pasta?
The recipe is known around the world as spicy vodka pasta, and it originated in Italy in the ’80s. But the recipe became widely popular after Gigi Hadid posted her viral story about it online, after which it became known as Gigi Hadid’s pasta.
Can I store this pasta?
Hot pasta is always best consumed immediately, but if you have any leftovers, you may store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When reheating, place it in a pan, add a splash of cream or milk, stir and reheat over medium-low heat until heated through.
Gigi Hadid’s Viral Spicy Pasta Recipe (Without the Vodka)
Gigi Hadid’s viral spicy pasta recipe delivers a perfectly creamy, rich, and super easy meal. Enjoy restaurant-quality pasta at home that you can whip up in no time!
Yield: 2 servings
How To Make Gigi Hadid’s Viral Spicy Pasta Step By Step
Heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large pan, add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft.
Add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring continuously until it appears a little bit darker in color.
Add the heavy cream and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Don’t forget to keep stirring. Season with salt and pepper, and remove the sauce from the heat.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions, making sure you keep it al dente. Save 1 cup of the pasta water before draining it.
Add the cooked pasta into your sauce, and add the butter, some of the pasta water, and stir over medium heat until the butter is “melted and saucy,” as Gigi says. Make sure your pasta is completely coated in the sauce. If it seems too thick, add a little more of the saved pasta water until you get the right creamy consistency.
Stir in the parmesan cheese, taste, and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle fresh basil leaves and serve immediately! Enjoy!
- I have made this recipe without using vodka, but you can add it if you wish.
- Remember to save about a cup of the pasta water before draining it.