About This Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
Literally translated to “out of this world” in Tahitian, Mai Tai is an iconic tropical rum drink that showcases the flavors of good-quality rum.
Made with white and dark rum, orange curaçao, orgeat syrup (which is an almond syrup), and fresh lime juice, this drink is breathtakingly complex. Just slightly sweet and with almond notes balancing out the sharp citrus taste, Mai Tai is one of the most popular Tiki drinks in the world.
Its origins can be traced back to the 1930s and ’40s, with several people trying to stake a claim on this creation. It was in the 1940s, however, that Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron truly perfected the drink as we know it today.
Interestingly, Mai Tai is also one of the most bastardized drinks. Over the years, it has been redone numerous times to include different fruit syrups, creating overwhelmingly fruity and colorful drinks.
A real Mai Tai, however, is not a neon-colored or overly sweet fruit salad. Mai Tai is a fresh and balanced, rum-forward cocktail. Made ideally with two types of rum (dark and light) to give you that boozy effect, along with the unique and irreplaceable orgeat syrup that really makes this drink stand out, Mai Tai, when made right, has no comparison.
Float the dark rum on top, garnish with a lime wheel and mint spring, and you get a sophisticated and nuanced Mai Tai cocktail that stands true to its name — out of this world!
What You Need for This Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
- Dark Rum: Use a good quality dark rum with a rich and sweet flavor.
- White Rum: It gives light vanilla notes to the drink.
- Orange Liqueur: You can use either Curaçao, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier for a slightly sweet orange taste.
- Orgeat Syrup: It is a sweet syrup made from almonds, sugar, and orange flower water, and it gives a nice nutty flavor to the cocktail.
- Lime Juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice delivers beautiful citrus notes, balancing the drink’s sweetness.
- Orange Liqueur: You may use curaçao, Cointreau, or Grand Marnier.
How strong is a Mai Tai cocktail?
Classic Mai Tai cocktails are quite potent and have around 20% ABV.
Mai Tai Cocktail
Perfect for summer parties, Mai Tai is an extraordinarily fresh and nuanced rum cocktail that’ll transport you to the sunny beaches of Hawaii!
Yield: 1 cocktail
How To Make Mai Tai Cocktail Step By Step
Add the white rum, orange liqueur, orgeat syrup, and freshly squeezed lime juice into a shaker. Add crushed ice and shake lightly for a few seconds.
Fill glasses with ice and pour the drink over.
Carefully float the dark rum on top and garnish with mint spring and a lime wheel. Enjoy!
- Orgeat syrup is a non-negotiable ingredient in a Mai Tai cocktail because it has a distinctive nutty flavor with a hint of citrus.
- To ensure great taste, use good quality ingredients.