About This Mexican Chicken Salad (Ensalada de Pollo) Recipe
I am a huge veggie lover. I always include big, colorful, and nutritious salads in my daily lunch. And this Mexican chicken salad is one of my favorite go-to recipes, especially when I have a busy week and I’m prepping my meals in advance.
Forget about the plain and tasteless chicken salads you buy from the supermarket. It’s time you spice up your chicken salad game with this super delicious Mexican-inspired ensalada de pollo at home.
All you need for this easy and super tasty recipe are a few simple ingredients, like potatoes, frozen mixed veggies, chicken breast, a little bit of mayonnaise and sour cream, and some pickled jalapeños to spice things up.
The beauty of this salad is that you can swap out any of these veggies in favor of your favorites. Or you can even use this meal to clean out your fridge and utilize whatever leftover vegetables or meat you have on hand.
The best part? You can prepare this salad a day ahead and keep the dressing separate, so you can easily bring it to potlucks or get-togethers with friends and family.
Serve this Mexican chicken salad at any gatherings or events with saltine crackers or tostadas — even the non-salad-eating people will love this mouthwatering meal that’s packed with a ton of flavor!
What You Need for This Mexican Chicken Salad Recipe
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breast works great for this recipe.
- Mixed Veggies: I like to use frozen mixed veggies including carrots, peas, and corn.
- Potatoes: I have used normal white potatoes that I’ve cut into small pieces.
- Mayonnaise: It adds a lovely creaminess to this salad.
- Sour Cream: Using a little bit of sour cream makes the dressing lighter and adds a hint of tang.
- Pickled Jalapeños: Cut in small bites, they add a lovely spicy kick to the salad.
- Pickled Jalapeños Brine: It gives a nice vinegary and tangy flavor that compliments the mayonnaise and sour cream very well.
- Chicken: You can use chicken breast or thighs, or you can even substitute it with turkey and use up any leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- Mayonnaise: It gives a lovely creaminess to the salad but it can be substituted with mashed avocado for a lighter version.
- Sour Cream: You can substitute it with plain Greek yogurt.
- Mixed Vegetables: I have used frozen veggies, but you can also use fresh vegetables if you prefer. Feel free to use whatever mix of veggies you like. Chopped-up green beans are a great addition, too.
Can I store this Mexican chicken salad?
Yes, of course. It tastes even better if you prepare it ahead of time. Make the salad and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What can I serve with this salad?
This Mexican chicken salad is excellent served on saltine crackers, tostadas, or tortilla chips. It also tastes wonderful in a sandwich, over romaine lettuce, or with avocado slices in a wrap for a lighter option.
Mexican Chicken Salad (Ensalada de Pollo)
This Mexican chicken salad is a healthy and nutritious meal that’s so super tasty and perfect for a simple lunch as well as get-togethers with family and friends!
Yield: 2 servings
How To Make Mexican Chicken Salad Step By Step
Preheat the oven to 200℃/392℉. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and drizzle it with the extra virgin olive oil. Place it in a dutch oven or baking dish, and roast it in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until well-cooked.
While the chicken is roasting, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Place them in a microwave steamer and steam for 7 to 8 minutes, or until they are cooked. The potatoes need to be soft enough to be pierced with a fork but not too soft to become mush; you don’t want mashed potatoes in your salad. Set aside and let them cool.
Place the frozen mixed veggies in the microwave steamer and steam for 4 to 5 minutes, or until they are cooked. Set aside and let them cool.
Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using two forks, then let it cool for a few minutes.
In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, the pickled jalapeños brine, and a pinch of salt, and mix well.
Combine the cooked potatoes, veggies, shredded chicken, chopped pickled jalapeños, and the mayonnaise mixture in a large bowl, and mix well. If you want it creamier, add a little bit more mayonnaise. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed, then refrigerate the salad for 1 to 2 hours, or until chilled.
Serve with saltine crackers, tostadas, or tortilla chips.
- To shred the chicken breast, place it on a cutting board or plate, and use two forks, separate the meat and shred as you separate.
- Instead of cooking the chicken breast, you can also use leftover cooked rotisserie chicken or any cooked chicken you have in the fridge. You then just need to shred it.
- Instead of roasting the chicken in the oven, you can also grill it.