About This Mini Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
I don’t know about you, but when I think of Thanksgiving, the first thing that comes to mind is food. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie… the list goes on and on.
But this year, I’m thinking outside the box and branching out into new territory with mini sweet potato pies. Yes, you read that right! Sweet potatoes in an almost pie crust-like delight.
If you are in the mood for a tasty yet slightly healthier dessert option, these mini sweet potato pies might be just what you are looking for! This recipe is simple to follow and results in deliciously sweet little pies that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Plus, thanks to the inclusion of nutrient-rich sweet potatoes, these mini pies also offer some health benefits.
High in fiber and vitamins A, C, and B6, sweet potatoes are a powerhouse of good-for-you ingredients. They also contain a decent amount of iron and calcium, making them a great addition to any vegetarian or vegan diet. Consuming them can boost immune system function, maintain heart health, and even improve digestive regularity.
Additionally, their natural sweetness offers a healthier alternative to processed sugars in baking recipes. So when it’s time to indulge in mini sweet potato pies or any other tasty sweet potato dish, you can do so guilt-free, knowing that you’re also nourishing your body.
Whether you’re looking for a new dish to bring to Thanksgiving dinner or just a tasty snack to enjoy at home, these little pies will surely be a hit with guests and your tastebuds alike!
What You Need for This Mini Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
- Sweet Potato: I have used orange sweet potato, which, when cooked and mashed, has a mildly starchy and sweet flavor.
- Sugar: I have used light brown sugar that has a slightly caramel-like flavor.
- Vanilla Extract and Salt: They both enhance the flavors of these mini delights.
- Butter: Make sure the butter is softened at room temperature in order to mix well with the other ingredients.
- Egg White: It helps to keep together all the ingredients.
- Spices: I like to use a mix of cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, and nutmeg to infuse the pies with a lovely, warming taste.
- Wafer Cookies: They have a crispy and dry texture and are the perfect pie crust for these little delights.
- Marshmallows: They give that lovely gooey texture that is the must-have finishing touch for these mini pies.
- Sweet Potatoes: They can be substituted with yams.
- Sugar: I have used light brown sugar, but any type of sugar will be good.
- Wafer Cookies: They can be replaced with any other small sugar or butter cookies.
Can I use different toppings for these mini pies?
Yes. The marshmallow gives these mini pies a lovely gooey texture, but they also taste amazing with grilled pineapple and peaches or even chopped dried nuts.
Mini Sweet Potato Pies
These mini sweet potato pies are the perfect dessert to celebrate autumn and are super easy to make!
Yield: 12 mini pies
How To Make Mini Sweet Potato Pies Step By Step
Preheat the oven to 180℃ / 350℉ and place one wafer cookie into each hole of a non-stick mini muffin pan.
Mix the mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, egg white, salt, and spices in a bowl until smooth.
Spoon the mixture on top of each cookie, filling to the top, then bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and place 3 to 4 mini marshmallows on top of each pie. Then, place it under a high broiler for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the tops.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan, and enjoy!
- While you’re browning the marshmallows, watch the pies carefully, as the marshmallows can burn very fast.