About This Purple Passion Plum & Kale Morning Smoothie Recipe
As a busy cook and housewife, I appreciate a simple, nutritious, and filling recipe. This purple passion plum and kale morning smoothie definitely fits that bill! Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, it will give you the energy you need to start your day off right.
Plums are often overlooked when it comes to fruit smoothies, but this stone fruit actually makes for a delightfully sweet and tasty drink. Plums are a good source of vitamins C and K and are rich in fiber and antioxidants.
This smoothie recipe highlights this juicy fruit by pairing it with other healthy fruits and veggies like banana, carrot, red cabbage, kale, and ginger to create a thick and creamy drink that is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
Kale is a popular superfood. It is packed with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium and iron, and is known to provide numerous health benefits. Kale is also a good source of fiber, which can help to regulate digestion. It’s no wonder this nutrient powerhouse has become such a popular smoothie ingredient. It adds a huge amount of nutrients and vitamins to the smoothie without affecting the flavor!
The banana makes the smoothie creamy, the carrots add some sweetness, and the red cabbage gives this smoothie that vibrant purple color. The lemon juice and ginger give the smoothie a tangy and spicy kick. And the addition of acai powder kicks up the nutrition quotient of this smoothie to a whole new level!
Give this purple passion smoothie a try and see how great you feel after drinking it. Not only does it look gorgeous and taste amazing, but you’ll also be getting a ton of nutrients!
What You Need for This Purple Passion Plum & Kale Morning Smoothie Recipe
- Plum: I like to use red plums for this smoothie because they have an excellent sweet and sour taste.
- Kale: It is a nutrient powerhouse that’s commonly added to smoothies. I have used curly kale leaves for this smoothie.
- Red Cabbage: I like to use red cabbage because it gives a gorgeous purple color and lots of vitamins. Don’t worry; you won’t even taste it.
- Carrot: It is packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene, and it adds a lovely, slightly sweet flavor to the smoothie.
- Banana: It is rich in nutrients and brings the perfect amount of sweetness and smooth consistency to any smoothie.
- Lemon Juice: It adds a subtle tangy and refreshing taste to the smoothie.
- Ginger: I have used fresh ginger, which is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties. It adds a fantastic flavor punch to the smoothie.
- Acai Powder: It is a plant-based superfood loaded with antioxidants and gives the smoothie a slight berry flavor and a hint of tartness.
- Toppings (optional): I like to use a few chia and sesame seeds to sprinkle on top.
- Kale: I have used curly kale, but any type of kale such as lacinato, red Russian, scarlet, or redbor kale will work well in this smoothie.
- Plums: I have used red plums but you can replace them with other varieties of plums as well. You can even use dried plums if you wish.
- Red Cabbage: It gives the smoothie a wonderful purple color, but it can be substituted with other types of cabbages such as white or Napa cabbage, although the color of the smoothie will be different.
- Ginger: I like to use fresh ginger, but if you can’t find it, ground ginger will be good too.
Can I store this smoothie?
I don’t recommend storing the smoothie. For the best taste and quality, enjoy the smoothie right away.
If you want to save time in the morning, you can prep the night before by chopping up all the fruits and veggies and placing them in an airtight bag. You can even freeze them for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy your smoothie, put the bag’s contents into the blender, add the lemon juice and water and blend until smooth.
Is it ok to use raw kale in a smoothie?
Yes, you can use raw kale in a smoothie. Kale is from the same family of cruciferous vegetables as cauliflower and broccoli. While it does contain thiocyanates, a compound that can impact thyroid function, it is only an issue when consumed in large quantities. So you don’t need to worry about eating raw kale in salads or smoothies because the quantity is much less.
Purple Passion Plum & Kale Morning Smoothie
Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and more, this purple passion plum and kale smoothie is sure to leave you feeling satisfied and healthy.
Yield: 2 servings
How To Make Purple Passion Plum & Kale Morning Smoothie Step By Step
Remove the stones of the plums and the rough stems of the kale, if any.
Roughly chop up the plums, kale leaves, carrot, and banana, and put them in a blender.
Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, shredded cabbage, chopped ginger, açai powder, and water, and pulse until everything is mixed and reaches a smooth consistency.
Sprinkle chia and sesame seeds on top, if using, and enjoy!
- Make sure you remove the rough stems of the kale leaves; while they are edible, they are also very bitter.
- Using the ingredients mentioned above, you’ll get a purple smoothie. If you make any substitutions, the color may change accordingly.