About This S’mores Cookie Bars Recipe
I must admit that I did not grow up with s’mores, but I’ve always seen them on TV and in movies. I would always think that must be really something extraordinary because all kids and adults seem to love these treats. And when I did get the chance to try s’mores, it truly was a unique treat — that sticky and gooey marshmallow that melts with the chocolate between two layers of cookies. As a chocolate lover, I couldn’t have thought of a more indulgent dessert!
But what if I’m not at a campfire or BBQ to make the s’mores? What if I want s’more flavors in a more travel-friendly form? These sweet bars deliver precisely that — all the flavor of s’mores in a cookie bar that is nice and firm and can be enjoyed anywhere. Absolutely irresistible!
Besides the fantastic flavors, these s’mores cookie bars also offer a medley of different textures — gooey and sticky marshmallow creme, creamy chocolate, and soft, chewy, and a little bit crunchy graham cookie dough. With only a handful of ingredients, you get such a special delight.
I also like to balance the sweetness from the marshmallow creme and cookie dough by using dark chocolate chips in these s’mores bars. They add just the right amount of chocolatey goodness without making the s’mores overwhelmingly sweet.
What You Need for This S’mores Cookie Bars Recipe
- Unsalted Butter: I’ve used unsalted butter to control the salt quantity, and I’ve let it soften at room temperature to avoid lumps.
- Brown Sugar: I like to use light brown sugar in this recipe because it has a deeper caramel flavor and gives a nice touch of color.
- Chocolate Chips: Dark chocolate chips to balance the sweetness from the marshmallow and cookie dough while adding a more complex taste.
- Flour: I have used plain/all-purpose flour.
- Graham Crackers Crumbs: These sweetened crackers are made with whole wheat flour and other ingredients and are often used as a base for sweets crust.
- Marshmallow Creme: Also known as marshmallow fluff, it is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows and is used in making frostings, confections, fudges, and other desserts.
- Egg: It helps keep the dough together and softens and lightens the texture a little bit.
- Vanilla Extract: A splash of vanilla extract enhances all the flavors.
- Baking Powder: It is a leavening agent and helps the dough rise.
- Salt: Whether you’re making something sweet or savory, salt can enhance the flavors of any recipe.
- Brown Sugar: If you don’t have brown sugar, you may also use white sugar, but the texture will turn out a little different.
- Graham Crackers Crumbs: Instead of graham crackers, you may also use digestive biscuits, shortbread, wafers, or anything with a similar texture.
- Unsalted Butter: If you want, you may use salted butter instead, but remember to omit to add a pinch of salt.
How can I store these s’mores cookie bars?
You may store these bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze these bars?
Yes. Place the cold squares between sheets of parchment paper into a freezer-friendly container, and freeze for about 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator, and bring them to room temperature before serving.
S’mores Cookie Bars
Quick and super tasty, these soft, gooey, and a little bit crumbly, s’mores cookie bars are great for an after-dinner treat or even as a quick snack on the go.
Yield: 15 bars (using a 27.5 x 17.5 cm baking pan)
How To Make S’mores Cookie Bars Step By Step
Preheat the oven at 180℃ and line a baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough paper overhang on the side so you can easily remove the dough when it is ready.
Use a handheld or stand mixer at medium-high speed to cream the butter and brown sugar for about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, beat to combine them properly.
Add in the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
Spread ⅔ of the dough into the prepared baking pan. As the dough is sticky, you may use your hands if needed.
Spread the marshmallow creme on top. It will be difficult since the marshmallow is sticky but try to get an even layer.
Add the chocolate chips on top.
Take pieces from the remaining dough, flatten them and layer them on top of the chocolate chips but do not cover everything. Let some marshmallows and chocolate chips be exposed.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown. Let it cool completely, then cut into squares. Enjoy!
- I suggest using marshmallow cream and not fluffy marshmallows because the cream can withstand the oven’s heat while the marshmallows will melt and disappear into the dough.