About This PBJ Open Sandwich Recipe
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a childhood favorite and adored by adults alike! There’s something about the combination of textures and flavors that just hits the spot.
But what if instead of using the store-bought sweetened peanut butter, we make our own pecan butter, and instead of the jelly, we prepare a super easy superfood jam? The result? The ultimate PBJ sandwich that’s also healthy, super delicious, and very easy to make at home.
Have you ever tried homemade pecan butter? If not, let me tell you — it’s the bomb. All you need is some pecans and a food processor (or a high-powered blender if that’s all you have), and a little bit of patience. The pecans will take some time to turn into the creamy spread, but trust me, the wait is worth it. The homemade version tastes way better than store bought one, and the added bonus is that pecans are also packed with healthy fats and have plenty of antioxidants.
The pecan butter is paired with a naturally sweet and slightly tangy blueberry jam. This homemade raw blueberry jam is not only easy and cost-effective, but the health benefits of the blueberries make it a win all around. Plus, the raw jam preserves the antioxidant properties of the berries, giving you the added bonus of a healthy spread.
The combination of these two makes the most amazing PBJ open sandwich — just smother your bread with pecan butter, top it with homemade blueberry jam, and add some bananas and seeds for the ultimate flavor combo.
Trust me; once you try this unique twist on the classic PBJ, you’ll never go back to store-bought versions again!
What You Need for This PBJ Open Sandwich Recipe
- Bread: I have used wholegrain sourdough bread.
- Pecans: I love using pecans to make this butter because they are softer and creamier than walnuts.
- Blueberries: I like to use blueberries to make this raw jam because they are not overly sweet while being juicy.
- Raw Honey: I have used raw honey to add a bit of sweetness.
- Chia Seeds: They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and high-quality protein, as well as essential antioxidants and minerals, and they have a mild nutty flavor.
- Banana: Bananas are not only rich in nutrients but also complement the sandwich perfectly.
- Toppings: I like to top my open sandwich with pepitas and chia seeds.
- Wholegrain Sourdough Bread: If you don’t like sourdough, wholegrain bread or even white bread is okay for this sandwich.
- Blueberries: They are perfect for making raw jam in just a few seconds, but you can substitute them with any other berries that you prefer. Blackberries, currants, gooseberries, huckleberries, raspberries, and strawberries are perfect, too.
- Raw Honey: It can be substituted with maple syrup.
Can I make this sandwich keto?
The pecan butter and blueberry jam have no added sugar. You just need to use keto bread, and you have a perfect keto-friendly snack.
The Best PBJ Open Sandwich + How to Make Pecan Butter and Basic Raw Jam
This PBJ open sandwich is a delicious combination of pecan butter and raw blueberry jam on toasted sourdough bread that’s impossible to resist.
Yield: 2 servings
How To Make The Best PBJ Open Sandwich Step By Step
First, using a food processor or high-powered blender, blend together the blueberries and honey for a few seconds. It doesn’t need to be smooth.
Scoop the blueberries into a bowl, mix them with the chia seeds, and then set aside.
Clean your blender, add the pecans, and blend until they turn into creamy butter. Scoop it out and set it aside.
Slice the banana.
Slightly toast the slices of bread, and spread the pecan butter on them, followed by the raw blueberry jam, slices of banana, and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- The above quantities make more pecan butter and jam that is needed for this recipe. You can store the pecan butter in an airtight jar at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks, and the jam can be stored in a jar in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.