About This White Russian Recipe
The White Russian, made with vodka, Kahlúa coffee liqueur, and cream, is a variation of Black Russian cocktail that has only vodka and coffee liqueur.
Although neither of these two cocktails has any Russian origin, they are so-named because vodka is the primary ingredient, a spirit often associated with Russia.
The White Russian has been around since the 1950s, but its popularity skyrocketed only in 1998 after the release of the cult-classic film The Big Lebowski.
Throughout the movie, the White Russian is the protagonist Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski’s beverage of choice, and he’s seen sipping on it constantly. On several occasions, he also refers to it as the “Caucasian.” Regardless of whether you’ve seen the film or not, I can guarantee you’re going to love this drink!
The cocktail has only three ingredients, it is super easy to make, and you don’t need any cocktails shaker or mixing glass. Just make sure you choose good-quality vodka, because, after all, it is the main ingredient. A Russian vodka would be perfect.
The addition of the cream to the mix of vodka and Kahlúa makes this cocktail decadently rich and luscious.
Made in just about 2 minutes, the White Russian is perfect for a happy hour, an afternoon drink, or dinner cocktail.
What You Need for This White Russian Recipe
- Vodka: As it is the main ingredient of this cocktail, use good quality vodka.
- Kahlúa: It is a coffee liqueur made with rum, sugar, and arabica coffee, produced in Veracruz, Mexico. It has a strong taste of coffee with a hint of vanilla and caramel.
- Cream: It is the reason why this cocktail is white and not the original Black Russian. The cream adds a lovely richness to the drink.
- Kahlúa: If you can’t find it, you may substitute it with any other good-quality coffee liqueur like Tia Maria or Sheridan’s.
Can I use Baileys instead of Kahlúa?
You can, but the flavor of the cocktail will be completely different.
Can I make this cocktail dairy-free?
Yes. For a dairy-free version of this drink, instead of cream, use soy, almond, or any other nut or grain-based beverages.
Featuring a rich and creamy texture, the White Russian is a super simple cocktail that’s perfect as an afternoon or late-night drink.
Yield: 1 cocktail
How To Make White Russian Step By Step
Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour vodka and Kahlúa.
Top it with cream. Stir gently to get a lovely swirl effect, and enjoy!
- For a rich and creamy cocktail, I like to use heavy cream because it is thicker. You may also use milk, but it will not be as tasty.
- Instead of making the swirl effect, if you prefer, you may stir the cocktail properly, and you’ll get a solid beige-colored drink.